Community Mental Health Service Manager - 6 month secondment
- Older Adult Mental Health
- Band 8a
- Secondment: 6 months
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week
- Rosanne House,
- Welwyn Garden City
- £48,526 - £54,619 per annum, pro rata + 5% of basic salary (min £1,066 max £1,845)
- Today at 23:59
Values Based Screener
At Hertfordshire Partnership Foundation Trust we are looking for people to join us who share our values and those of the NHS. Before your application can be considered please take part on our online values questionnaire, which you can find below. When you have finished you will be sent a 'completion code' by email, which will be valid for 6 months and required to submit your application form.
The post holder is a specialist in the field of community metal health services for older people (including day assessment & treatment provision) and is responsible for ensuring that assessment, care management and treatment services are effectively delivered in line with relevant timescales for assessment and provision of service.
The post holder will be responsible for implementing agreed strategies and providing leadership to ensure relevant performance objectives are achieved across community and day hospital services.
The post holder will also have an important role in supporting the development of Mental health Services for Older People across the Service and in undertaking delegated duties on behalf of the Service Line Leader/Deputy Service Line Leader.
All staff should comply with the Trust’s Anti-Discriminatory Statement, Employee Charter, Trust Policies and Procedures, Code of Conduct and Equality and Diversity.
Main duties of the job
We are seeking a motivated, and experienced nurse, social worker or OT, who is ready for the next step in their career with this outstanding Trust, as Service Manager for our Community Mental Health Services in the East of Hertfordshire.
You will have experience of working in community based mental health services, and of supervising and leading staff. You will be able to demonstrate an ability to effectively lead a busy and dynamic adult community mental health service, working closely with the developing Primary Care Networks within the locations.
The successful applicant will be responsible for the management of a multi-disciplinary Health and Social Care service, delivering high quality mental health services, and contributing to the development of system-wide services .
In return you will be welcomed into a supportive and motivated team of health and social care staff, within a Trust that is committed to your continuing development.
Working for our organisation
Values and Behaviours
Our values and behaviours have been developed by over 800 service users, carers and members of staff. They describe how we aim to be with service users, carers and each other. By living our values we deliver our ambition to be a leading provider for everyone we work with.
- We are welcoming so you feel valued as an individual
- We are kind so you can feel cared for
- We are positive so you can feel supported and included
- We are respectful so you can feel listened to and heard
- We are professional so you can feel safe and confident
Our values set the tone for:
- The way we plan
- The way we behave with service users
- The kind of colleagues we are
- The way we induct, appraise and develop
Equality and Diversity
Hertfordshire Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust is committed to providing an environment where all staff, service users / carers enjoy equality of opportunity.
The Trust works to eliminate all forms of discrimination and recognise that this requires, not only a commitment to remove discrimination, but also action through positive policies .
Providing equality of opportunity means understanding and appreciating the diversity of our staff, service users & carers and ensuring a supportive environment free from harassment. Because of this Hertfordshire Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust actively encourages its staff to challenge discrimination and promote equality of opportunity for all.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Dimensions of the Post
- Ensure effective working relationships and communication across the community services for older people
- Ensure effective working relationships and communication with in-patient modern matrons, unit managers and the bed manager
- Ensure excellent communication with other managers in the locality and wider community to ensure that services are delivered across care pathways
- Ensure that good practice is shared within the locality and wider service where appropriate
- To respond manage a positive local response to all external contact with Community Services for Older People
- To effectively manage and respond to complaints, incidents, disciplinary and other HR processes in accordance with policy
- To actively participate and contribute to the Older People Community and 24/7 Trustwide management meeting structure
Responsibilities of the Post
Leadership and Staff Management Responsibility
- Provide strong visible leadership within the Specialist Mental Health Team for Older People, EMDASS and Day Assessment &
- To ensure effective monitoring and delivery of ambitious targets to continually improve performance within the team.
- To provide overall leadership for the Team to ensure services are integrated and are responsive to service needs
- To be responsible for the management of the Team and to ensure that the practice meets relevant standards and is timely and safe
- Ensure that all staff are clear about what is expected and are working together successfully to achieve the Service’s vision
- Lead on the implementation of new policies within area of
- To support the Service Line Leader/Deputy Service Line Leader and work with the Business Manager on strategies for service development within Specialist Mental Health Services for Older
- To ensure that all staff receive appropriate professional supervision and line management arrangements are clearly described
- To monitor performance, work practices and quality standards within the team in line with prescribed standards, and be responsible for decisions on individual cases which are recorded
- To manage the Team budget, and ensure that performance targets are met, and the financial standards are adhered to and recorded on the appropriate systems.
- Ensure that all income required to support delivery of the SMHTOP, EMDASS and Day Assessment & Treatment is identified and that budgets are realistic
- In conjunction with the Service Line Leader/Deputy Service Line Leader and finance colleagues negotiate with external agencies to secure additional income for new services and to agree supporting contracts and infrastructure
- Ensure the SMHTOP, EMDASS and Day Assessment & Treatment deliver financial performance in line with the Service’s agreed financial plan and to actively explore and implement opportunities for cost improvement
- Ensure appropriate authorisation for expenditure of resources
Service Development and Improvement
- Work with community, social care, independent sector and voluntary partners to ensure that delivery plans support the wider health and social care agenda including improvements in equality and access
- In conjunction with Lead Nurses, Head of Social Care and Head of AHP’s ensure that services are marketed effectively to existing and new commissioners.
- Challenge existing practices, ensuring that progressive solutions, which take into account models of best practice, are incorporated into service plans
- Support the Service Line Leader/Deputy Service Line Leader and Business Manager to deliver local service re-design projects with improved outcomes for service users and more efficient use of
- Under the supervision of the Service Line Leader/Deputy Service Line Leader, introduce new and innovative business management strategies to maximise the organisational efficiency of local community services
- Use available data to establish needs for local change in service provision
- Put in place strategies to manage pressures on the service
- The post holder will maintain and update their professional registration
- To manage the development of the Team’s professional practice, ensuring that staff are kept up to date with latest developments and actively participate in all aspects of practice governance and other professional development.
- To ensure individuals work to their professional registration and take appropriate action if it is identified that they are not
- To support the Service Line Leader/Deputy Service Line Leader and Business Manager in the formulation and delivery of the Older People component of the SBU business
Improving the Performance and Quality of the Trust
- Ensure robust reporting arrangements within the team to accurately record and monitor performance against health and social care targets and to pro-actively manage any variances
- Provide regular reports to the Service Line Leader/Deputy Service Line Leader with assurance that appropriate follow up actions will be completed
- To performance manage and develop a team of professionals and support staff, including the planning and allocating of workloads in accordance with agreed timescales.
- Lead service-wide initiatives and projects as delegated by the Service Line Lead/Deputy Service Line
- Take part in Trust-wide on call duties
- Represent the service area at local and Trust meetings
- Deputise for the Service Line Lead/Deputy Service Line Lead as required
- The role is likely to be office based with travelling between sites and to and from meetings around the county
Knowledge and Skills Framework:
The post holder will be expected to meet the requirements of the NHS Knowledge and Skills Framework (KSF) appropriate outline for the post.
Approved outlines are available on the HPT e-ksf local library
Health and Safety
The post holder has a duty of care to themselves and to others with whom they come into contact in the course of their work as laid down in the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and any subsequent amendment or legislation.
All Trust staff will:
Act as a role model and champion for the highest standard of all aspects of infection prevention and control and implementation of all Infection Prevention and Control Trust polices and guidelines.
Demonstrate respect for the roles and endeavours of others, in implementing good standards of hand hygiene.
Value and recognise the ideas and contributions of colleagues in their endeavours to reduce the incidence of healthcare associated infection.
- First degree or equivalent and professional qualification in a relevant area of health or social care
- Evidence of continuous professional and management development showing a combination of short courses, structured self-study or formal management courses.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- At least two years management experience within the NHS
- Experience of engaging service users/ carers in service planning/improvement.
- Knowledge of National policy and standards of governance.
- Knowledge of NHS and local Government strategies, policies and plans.
- planning and implementing service change
- working with clinicians / MDT for improvements
- achieveing targets and objectives in challenging envs
- organising workloads to meet objectives / operate effectively
- communicate verbally / written to inform / influence
- leading effective / empowered teams
- manage tension proactively and constructively
- direct and delegate
- open, honest and approachable
- translate complex into articulate plans / recommendations
- flexible and creative solutions
- loyalty and professionalism to team and organisation
- IT skills
- car driver
- resilient in challenge and conflict
- team working, development and engagement
- adaptable to change, striving to improve / deliver high standards
- on call rota
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Liz Booth
- Job title
- Interim Service Line Lead
- Email address
- Telephone number