Consultant Psychiatrist in Intellectual Disabilities
NHS Medical & Dental: Consultant
- Intellectual Disabilities
- NHS Medical & Dental: Consultant
- Full time - 10 sessions per week
- 367-HPFT-MEDICAL-387 A
- Little Plumstead Hospital
- £88,364 - £119,133 per annum
- 15/02/2023 23:59
Values Based Screener
At Hertfordshire Partnership Foundation Trust we are looking for people to join us who share our values and those of the NHS. Before your application can be considered please take part on our online values questionnaire, which you can find below. When you have finished you will be sent a 'completion code' by email, which will be valid for 6 months and required to submit your application form.
Additional benefits package (Ts & Cs apply)
*Previous applicants need not apply*
*£10K Retention Pay Premia*
This is a hugely exciting time for the Trust having recently achieved an OUTSTANDING CQC RATING and being one of just five mental health and learning disabilities NHS trusts in England to hold an outstanding rating.
We are driven by our values. If you believe in Respect, Kindness and a Positive outlook then you'll be right at home.
Main duties of the job
The Norfolk East (Great Yarmouth) and Norwich city areas together received approximately 20 referrals to the Consultant for complex care in 12 months and the caseload is maintained within the recommended numbers in the RCPsych Document Safe patients High Quality services and is usually around 54. There’s currently 4 and 3 services users on the Dynamic Support register for East & City respectively.
In an average month, there’s around 1-2 new referrals received, and the existing caseload as seen on follow up appointments. 2-3 patients are discharged a month by the current Consultant and the team.
You must ensure the relevant professional registration is maintained, including Section 12, Approved Clinician, and Responsible Clinician status.*
Working for our organisation
Here's what we have to offer you
- Mentoring support for new Consultants
- Dedicated support to help become a future NHS Leader
- Access to Leadership, Teaching, Education and Research opportunities
- A strong ethos on Learning and Development
- Access to a state-of-the-art Simulation Training Facility including opportunities to join the Multidisciplinary Simulation Faculty
- Access to a large peer group of enthusiastic and high-calibre Consultants
- Study leave of 30 days over 3 years
- Study leave budget of £800 per person per annum
- Innovative patient electronic record system (PARIS)/ Admin and IT equipment/ software to improve work experience (4G enabled laptops provided upon starting)
- Flexible working
- Excellent staff benefits
- Health and wellbeing support
- Flexible APAs to seek development opportunities in service development/ management / Simulation Training /working with Community Transformation Projects
- Dedicated SPA time in Job Plan
- Generous relocation package up to £7.5K (subject to terms & conditions)
Our Health Hub helps improve staff health and wellbeing across the Trust - encouraging staff to step away from their work and think about their own health. This includes:
- Workshops, challenges and social events throughout the year
- Confidential and safe forums where staff can talk about the emotional impact of work
- An equality and diversity staff network providing support to all staff
- Mindfulness bite size taster session
- Mini health check
- Free, confidential counselling services 24/7
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Duties include, but not exclusive to;
- To undertake the administrative duties associated with the care of patients.
- To record clinical activity accurately and comprehensively
- To participate in service and business planning activity for the locality and, as appropriate, for the whole mental health service.
- To participate in annual appraisal.
- To attend and participate in the academic programme of the Trust, including lectures and seminars as part of the CPD programme.
- To maintain professional registration with the General Medical Council, Mental Health Act Section 12(2) approval, and to abide by professional codes of conduct.
- •Recognised basic medical degree.
- MRCPsych OR MRCPsych equivalent approved by the Royal College of Psychiatrists; candidates may achieve registration into GMC specialist register through CESR
- CCT or equivalent in Psychiatry of Intellectual Disability or Forensic Psychiatry or within 3 months of achieving CCT in relevant area.
- S.12 approval and Approved Clinician under MHA 1983.
- • Full GMC registration.
- Postgraduate qualifications relevant higher degree, MSc, MD, PhD./Diploma or degree in Management , Law or teaching certification
- Experience of work in inpatient psychiatric services for PWLD and Forensic and/ Intellectual Disabilities
- Other additional clinical qualifications
- Research experience and publications
- • Experience of the assessment and treatment of mental illness and behaviour disorders in adults with Intellectual Disabilities.
- • In good standing with the RCPsych for CPD
- • Experience of clinical governance processes including the ability to use clinical audit as a tool to improve quality.
- • Experienced in risk assessment and risk management.
- • Experience of providing medical leadership in the context of Intellectual Disability multi-disciplinary teams
- • Specialist clinical experience in neurodevelopmental disorders, pervasive developmental disorders and forensic aspects of Intellectual Disability practice.
Skills & Behaviors
- • Excellent written and oral communication.
- • Evidence of specific achievements that demonstrate leadership skills within clinical, research and service development contexts.
Training and Education
- • Willingness to act as clinical supervisor to specialty doctor.
- • Experience of acting as a clinical or educational supervisor.
- • Satisfactory clearances from enhances DBS disclosure and health checks.
- • Able to fulfil the travel requirements of the post – this includes the ability to drive a car for work purposes
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Dr K Kiran
- Job title
- Medical Lead
- Email address