Senior Learning and Development Manager
NHS AfC: Band 8a
- Learning and Development
- NHS AfC: Band 8a
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week
- The Collonades
- £48,526 - £54,619 per annum, pro rata
- 06/02/2023 23:59
Values Based Screener
At Hertfordshire Partnership Foundation Trust we are looking for people to join us who share our values and those of the NHS. Before your application can be considered please take part on our online values questionnaire, which you can find below. When you have finished you will be sent a 'completion code' by email, which will be valid for 6 months and required to submit your application form.
Are you passionate about Learning and development?
The Senior Learning and Development Manager is a lead role that can influence change across Hertfordshire Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust, embedding and creating an environment where every member of staff can thrive.
As the subject expert in Learning and Development, you will work with stakeholders across the Trust to identify and implement changes to make a tangible difference to the workforce by helping use to achieve our strategic objectives. You will build on work that has been started supporting them on their maturity journey. You will also be responsible for ensuring the trust meets its Statutory and Mandatory training and CPD obligations in line with current legislation and best practice and to ensure that the compliance agenda is mainstreamed into all areas of activity
Main duties of the job
Reporting to the Head of Learning and Development, you will be responsible for leading workforce elements of the People and OD strategy, managing a small team.
Work with other teams ensuring communication, campaigns, training, policy development and process change relating to Learning are planned and implemented to achieve required outcome. For example, inclusive recruitment and career development. You will be confident facilitating group discussions and collaborating with Organisational Development and HRPB teams.
Review and analysing workforce data and metrics to derive insights and generate action plans
Build relationships and engage with a range of stakeholders, including leadership teams, Trust SBU’s (business units) which are spread Essex across and Norfolk, staff networks and external organisations.
Working at Hertfordshire Partnership University Trust means joining a supportive friendly team who are passionate about Learning and are open to new ideas. This is a full-time position, and we are open to discussing with you any flexible working arrangements.
Working for our organisation
Hertfordshire Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust (HPFT) is an outstanding organisation with ambitions to match. We are one of just five mental health trusts to achieve an overall rating of ‘Outstanding’ from the Care Quality Commission, and our aim is to be the leading provider of mental health and specialist learning disability services in the country.
Our family of over 3500 members of staff provide health and social care for over 400,000 people with mental ill health, physical ill health and learning disabilities across Hertfordshire, Buckinghamshire, and Norfolk, delivering these services within the community and several inpatient settings. We also deliver a range of nationally commissioned specialist services including Tier 4 services for children and young people, perinatal services, plus medium and low secure learning disabilities services.
The care we provide makes a fantastic difference to the lives of our service users, their families and carers - everything is underpinned by choice, independence and equality, with our Trust values embedded throughout:
Our Trust values are:
Welcoming. Kind. Positive. Respectful. Professional.
These values are at the core of who we are, everything we do, and how we do it!
Would you like to be part of the HPFT family? Would you like work with us to ensure our service users live the fullest lives possible they can? Would you like to be supported in your career to be the best that you can be?
Then please read on…”
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
To provide a relevant and high-quality Learning & Development (L&D) service to the Trust by leading and driving Statutory and Essential training delivery and monthly Corporate Induction for all new (non-medical) staff, ad hoc Corporate Induction for specific staff groups and design and development of local induction programmes, as required.
This role will allow the jobholder to have day to day autonomy and decision-making responsibility when working with key stakeholders within the Trust to ensure and maintain an up-to-date policy and mandatory, essential, and local training programme that is fit for purpose and high quality, utilising a variety of appropriate delivery methods to attain agreed levels of compliance across subjects and the Trust.
The post also has specific responsibility for ensuring that mandatory, essential, local training, CPD and career development , compliance is monitored and maintained, through a variety of reporting methods and relationships including with training SMEs. This includes developing specific compliance systems for staff working externally to the Trust and the production of timely management, meeting, and committee reports and information, as required.
The job holder will be part of the L&D management team, reporting to the Head of Learning and Development. The postholder will be expected to represent the L&D team in various meetings where Induction and mandatory/essential/local training is an agenda item.
- To lead on the design, delivery, evaluation and co-ordination of the Trust’s Induction and mandatory/essential/locally required training programmes to ensure that all Trust non-medical staff are equipped to undertake their roles safely and within legislation and regulatory expectations.
- In close partnership with senior and other managers in the service lines and in corporate directorates, to support the monitoring and reviewing of the Trust’s compliance with Corporate Induction and training to ensure that the Trust is pro-active regarding sufficient attendance options and identifying gaps in compliance.
- To review and recommend action specifically about Induction and mandatory/essential/locally required training.
- To commission key training interventions – internally or externally - to meet the induction and mandatory/essential/local training needs of the Trust, including co-production with service users; always remaining mindful of the need to engage participants, work within budget and obtain value for money.
- To actively develop and maintain Corporate and other induction to create an affirming and lasting welcome for new staff in line with our values. This would include a pro-active and positive approach to co-production with service users.
- To create and/or maintain productive and positive working relationships with existing and new L&D stakeholders within the Trust and the wider system. This includes the convening and maintenance of regular meetings with the Trust’s training SMEs.
- Degree level qualification or equivalent level of L&D knowledge and experience
- CIPD qualification or equivalent training related qualification
- Successful management of a variety of stakeholder relationships including external suppliers
- Effective teamworking skills plus taking a leading role in a team
- Successful management of very busy and varied workload
- Dealing with/analysing financial/performance/training information
- Writing and quality assurance of formal processes, policies, and papers
- Designing and implementing learning evaluation
- Producing justifiable recommendations from data and statistical analysis
- Effective communication to all levels of an organisation
- Extensive experience of using Discovery, ESR systems or similar to produce reports and data
- Able to identify organisational risks, best practice, and weaknesses in L&D
- Dealing successfully with demanding and conflicting compliance targets
- Successful designing and delivery of group and individual learning interventions
- Co-production of work with service users
- Experience of developing, managing, and promoting eLearning
This post will require a submission for Disclosure to be made to check for any unspent criminal convictions.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Karenann Spicer
- Job title
- Head of Learning and Development
- Email address
- Telephone number